Sunday, December 4, 2016

Back in the Saddle

As I write this, I am sitting in my hotel room in Sierra Leone. It has been an interesting 18 months. Not that many posts ago, I was lamenting job hunting, and dreaming of assisting with the current (at that time) outbreak of Ebola that was occurring in West Africa.

And then, it happened.

I was hired for the job I had dreamed about for as long as I can remember; International Lab Capacity Building and Diagnostics, Viral Special Pathogens Branch (VSPB), CDC. And it was AMAZING!
  • Team lead for CDC Ebola diagnostic lab in Bo, Sierra Leone (three teams)
  • Ecology and molecular diagnostics training instructor at Njala University, Sierra Leone
  • Acting lab supervisor for VSPB at Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe Uganda (twice)
  • BSL-4 work at "the mothership"
And on top of all of that, the people were incredible. Our branch chief, program manager, my supervisor and my teammates were wonderful. The branch was full of great scientists and most of those were also great people. It is hard to imagine ever having a better situation...and then I quit.

Sigh, that last part was hard, but I got an offer from a group that needed someone to oversee their work in Sierra Leone, and guess what? Not many people want to live in Sierra Leone for a year. So here I am.



  • I have a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology, and I am currently a Principal Scientist
  • Follow me on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment